Wednesday

4/28 Ride Update

The weather couldn't have been more perfect for last night's first ride of the season! We had 11 women show up to the ride. There were 5 women on the B ride and 5 on the A. Special thanks goes to Susan who showed up for the group picture even though she wasn't able to ride last night - that's dedication! The B ride averaged 14 mph for 16 miles. I don't have stats on the A ride (if someone emails them to me I will update), but it was quite a bit faster. I think the men were going at a pretty fast clip - even when we asked them to keep it at 19mph.

Ladies - if you were on the A ride and felt discouraged getting dropped by the men and thinking about not coming back, please know we will change things for next week and the future. Please give us another chance! We are still trying to work out the kinks for rides early in the season. The A riding women could make make their own A- ride or follow the guys out and then cluster together for their own ride as the guys pace picks up.

Both womens rides are no-drop rides, meaning there are 3-4 stops during the ride to re-group, drink some water, catch your breath. For safety, we stop at all stop signs and traffic lights.

Some future joinees are asking what to bring on the ride - bike (preferably a road bike), helmet, water bottle, cellphone, spare tube in case you get a flat and something to pump up the tire with (co2 or pump), a few dollars, and very important is some type of ID. I love www.roadid.com bracelet I just bought one in PINK, of course! If anyone has anything else to add to this list, please feel free to leave a comment.

Other items to bring/wear that make riding a little more comfortable - cycling shorts (these are meant to be worn without underwear so you don't chafe-FYI), cycling gloves (these have pads on the palms to prevent hands going numb), clipless pedals - if anyone has anything else to the list, please feel free to leave a comment.

Hope to see even more women join us next week!

Happy riding,
Shannon
P.S. Just a reminder to email in your "Rider of the Week" questionnaire. I have only received 2 thus far. We will take individual pictures next week to go with these.

4 comments:

Bethany Peavey said...

It was a little disappointing to read a post over on the SMCC forums about how some of the ladies should have done the B ride. They encouraged us to ride with them, and told us they'd bump the speed down to 19mph, and stated it was a no drop ride, but then after reading their post, I feel like we weren't welcomed. Its disappointing as I had a great ride with them a few weeks ago, and now will question whether I should ride with them again--as I may not be 'fast' enough. :-(

Lisa said...

I agree, I was very disappointed too to read that post. I also heard them say they would pace 18/19, I definitely would not have joined them if I knew they were planning on a 21 mph pace. It's a little discouraging especially since this was the first ride of the season. Maybe we should have a separate group ride that wants to pace around 18 mph.

Lisa said...

Hi Shannon,
I'm not sure I've seen this
"Rider of the Week" questionnaire.

Karenlee said...

Hi everyone - yes, I was out there with some other guy and people ended up splitting up in two groups, not knowing what was going on, we turned right only to find out we ended up taking the longer route back; luckily Chris saw me; one of the other guys and stayed with us until we knew where we were - thank you Chris!!